Former PM of Australia John Howard loves Menzies. He loves Menzies so much, in 2014 he released a 630 page tome about Menzies’ impact on Australia. No Award doesn’t have time to read 630 pages written by a white man about another white man in order to review it for you, so instead we’re going to review the existing reviews of people who could be bothered reading 630 pages a white man wrote about another white man. (Please note: actual tome is 720 pages in length, but only 630 of those pages are biography.)
Rules of reviewing Howard’s Menzies:
- You have to play the Howard’s Menzies drinking game.
- Every time someone mentions that Australia was “cheated” by the slandering of Menzies: drink.
- Every time someone says it was Keating’s fault that Menzies is viewed badly by Australian history: drink.
- Every time a review says ‘Menzies had his bad points’ but fails to mention that thought Nazism wasn’t that bad: drink.
- Every time a conservative waxes rhapsodic about Gough’s sweet kisses: drink.
- Every time someone mentions how amazing John Howard was: drink.
- Every time someone references light: drink. Drink twice if that light is on a hill.
- Every time someone mentions a personal anecdote about Menzies or Howard: drink.
Spoilers: Stephanie’s favourite review is the Quadrant one. You’ll know why when you get there. Special mention to the Canberra Times review, for amazingness that we will be discussing later. #regionaldystopia
Overall, Steph has learnt from this process that she maintains a bias in regards to Menzies and his years, and she’ll be damned if she’ll let some baby boomer (or older) take that bias away from her.
Reviewer’s note: None of these reviews are linked, because Steph doesn’t want the bounceback to NA. However you have been presented with all the details you need to google them.