YES, we missed last week’s post, we can’t believe we’re being shamed like this. Outrageous.
Anyway, here are some thoughts on the sportsball.
Liz, Round 6
- The Lions are my back-up team, so I thought I’d enjoy the Lions v Bulldogs game regardless of who won.
- BUT NO! Most weeks, I enjoy the Lions’ unstoppable power, but this week I was all, “Look, it’s just no fun when you’re winning all the time. Where’s the suspense? Where’s the excitement? Look at the Bulldogs, they’re losing!”
- So maybe I have some complex feelings.
- But mostly my emotion was relief, that, while the Doggies lost, it wasn’t a humiliating loss (like that time GWS lost 43 to 9). We came within a whisker of a draw!
- It does feel like, every week, the Bulldogs get stronger as a team, and more versatile, but maybe they should have been strong and versatile all along? Is that how sport works? IDEK.
Steph, Round 6
- I love how many women are telling stories about getting time off work to play AFLW.
- I less love the financial difference between AFLM and AFLW but there’s always next year I guess.
- I know how I feel about this
- Fuck the Footy Show
- I feel like these round ups are really giving away a lot about my footy habits, ie, I lie on my couch working with the tv on and only really pay attention when my team is actually playing.
Steph, Round 7
- Hey it’s time for the wooden spoon! I don’t care for it but if you’re new to AFL you might be wondering what the fuck it is. It’s won by the team who finishes last in a season of AFL. GWS won it this year.
- The location of the AFLWGF was literally only announced at about COB AEDST Monday, ie, five days before. Whaaaat. The insult. The treachery. The misogyny.
- ALSO it’s not even on free to air tv? Fuck everything.
- I don’t know how I feel about this:
- The existence of Mai Nguyen made me consider GWS for like half a half a second.
- A housemate reports that between her seat and her bike there were no recycling bins, so she brought her rubbish home.
Liz, Round 7
- I missed this week’s Bulldogs match because I was staying at a five star resort out at Uluru. Don’t be jealous!
- (Yes, there is a post coming about the things I did there, including the museum shops.)
- (No, I did not climb Uluru.)
- Anyway, I finally sat down last night to watch the highlights, or as many as I could make out through the pixels.
- On the one hand, I’m glad the Doggies won, because losing to GWS would have been truly embarrassing.
- On the other hand, one of the GWS players is Nicola Barr, and although we’re not related (as far as my dad knows), I feel a certain kinship with her.
- I’m pretty mad about the grand final being held on the Gold Coast, and as an opener for the men’s game. I hope that this whole “AFLW is just the lesser auxiliary to the ‘real’ footy” phase is over by next year.
- At least the guy in charge is equally mad.